Present at CBDNA 2013 in Greensboro, NC
Call for Papers and Presentations
The College Band Directors National Association is pleased to invite papers and presentations by scholars engaged in research and pedagogy related to wind music, conducting, and athletic bands for its National Conference at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro March 20-23, 2013.
Submissions may explore any aspect of wind music, conducting, teaching music at the college level, wind instruments, athletic bands, or other topics of interest to an audience of college band and wind ensemble conductors.
The deadline for submitting proposals is September 14, 2012. All submissions should be sent electronically to Steve Peterson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on a heading below to expand the area
Presentations are welcome from any scholar actively engaged in music research, conducting, or pedagogy related to wind bands. Presentations may be either major presentations or poster sessions and scholars of all stages of their academic careers are encouraged to submit work for consideration. Major presentations are expected to be completed work covering significant new aspects of scholarship. Poster session presentations are intended for work-in-progress, or as summaries of existing scholarship.
Each major presentation will be allocated 50 minutes for presentation and questions; poster sessions will be allocated 20 minutes. Presentations may include audio/visual media.
For consideration, please comply with the following:
- Papers submitted for presentation must be the original work of the author(s). Proposals should include a statement of the paper's original contribution to scholarship as well as a summary of the paper's methodology and specific evidence of results.
- There are no limitations as to the type/scope of research submitted for consideration including quantitative studies, qualitative studies, historical studies, and theoretical analyses.
- Papers and presentations given at prior conferences will be considered if the audience was substantially different (e.g., state convention, university symposium). A statement specifying particulars of the presentation must be included with the submission.
- Proposals should be no more than four double-spaced pages of text (approx. 1000 words) including footnotes. Musical examples need not count toward this limit.
- An abstract of 150 words, suitable for publication in the conference program should be included.
- A cover letter with the title of the paper/proposal, author’s name, address, phone number, and e-mail address should accompany the submission. The proposal and abstract should NOT include the author's name or institution.
- Submissions must be submitted electronically to Steve Peterson at: email@example.com and received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, September 14, 2012 for consideration.
- All submissions will be screened by a panel of qualified evaluators.
- Applicants will be notified of the evaluator's decisions by November 1, 2012.
Athletic band submissions for presentation at the National Conference should be sent to Steve Peterson for collection, and will be adjudicated by members of the Athletic Band Committee or those designated by the committee. There will be a separate call at a later date for submissions that are to be considered ONLY for the summer 2013 Athletic Band Symposium.
Submissions for consideration at the National Conference that are not selected will automatically be considered for the Athletic Band Symposium if requested by the presenter at the time of submission.
A call for juried video half-time show presentations at the National Conference will occur at a later date in the fall semester.
The following will be required of presenters selected by the juried process to present at the National Conference:
- Presenters must be active members of CBDNA current in their dues at the time of submission and at the time of presentation, and must be registered for the conference.
- The CBDNA Board may consider outside proposals from prominent and renowned specialists outside the college band profession without the requirement of CBDNA membership. In such cases, the Board will consider the importance of the topic to CBDNA members, background and credentials of the presenter, and the ability of the presenter to relate their topic to the college band profession.
- Presenters must travel to the National Conference at their own expense. There is no monetary assistance provided by CBDNA.
- Presenters will be expected to conform to time limits. SET UP TIME FOR AUDIO/VISUAL AIDS WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE TIME ALLOTMENT.
- Presenters will be required to bring 3 copies of the complete presentation to the National Conference for the purpose of archiving the conference proceedings.
- Presenters are responsible for having copies of handouts for distribution at the presentation.
- Presenters are responsible for requesting audio/visual needs from the host by January 15, 2013.
Please direct questions about the submission process to Steve Peterson at: firstname.lastname@example.org